by Senator Howard Marklein
February 7, 2020
Special Interests From the 17th Senate District
It is that time of the legislative year when my office should have a revolving door for all of the special interests coming in from 17th Senate District. I do not consider the label “special interests” to be negative. It is an accurate label for all of the different groups of citizens who lobby on behalf of their interests and ideas.
Nearly every professional association, trade organization, community promotion committee and even some individuals, visit the State Capitol between January and April each year to talk about their special interests. These visits are usually called lobby days and the groups turn-out their members to talk to legislators about their priorities, ideas and concerns.
Citizens from the 17th Senate District take time away from their businesses, families and other commitments to spend time talking to me – or my team – about the things that mean a lot to them. I sincerely appreciate these citizen lobbyists because they are the experts in our communities who are living, working, volunteering and leading others within the confines of our state laws. They know what is working – and what is not. They have ideas to improve our state laws and state programs. They share their personal experiences and expertise.
Within the last month, my team and I have visited with residents of the 17th Senate District who represented all of the following groups:
- WI Farm Bureau Federation (WFBF)
- WI County Forests Association
- RV Dealers
- WI Emergency Medical Services Association (WEMSA)
- WI Economic Development Association (WEDA)
- WI Cheesemakers Association (WCA)
- WI Farmers Union (WFU)
- WI Dental Association (WDA)
- UW Platteville Legislative Relations
- WI Credit Union League
- Dairy Business Association (DBA)
- WI Grocers Association
- WI Criminal Defense Lawyers Lobby Day
- WI Association of Convention & Visitors Bureaus
- WI Restaurant Association (WRA)
- ABATE - A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments
- WI Association of Professional Agricultural Consultants
- WI Electrical Cooperatives Association (WECA)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
- WI Broadcasters Association
- WI Conservation Voters
- WI Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
- WI Realtors of South Central Wisconsin
- WI Career & Technical Education Organizations
- …and more
My point is that every single one of these organizations has members who live and work in the communities I serve. They take time out of their lives to advocate on behalf of a specific issue that is important to them and I sincerely appreciate their time and input. This is the true definition of the label “special interest”.
For more information and to connect with me, visit my website
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/17/marklein and subscribe to my weekly E-Update by sending an email to Sen.Marklein@legis.wisconsin.gov. Do not hesitate to call 800-978-8008 if you have input, ideas or need assistance with any state-related matters.