Senator Chris Larson remarks on Governor Walker’s ‘State of the State’
Madison, WI – Today the legislature gathered once again to hear Governor Walker’s State of the State address. True to form Governor Walker donned his rose-colored glasses and told the state that our lackluster economy, healthcare crisis, underfunded schools, job creation failures, dismantled environmental safeguards, threats to our drinking water, and struggling middle class are not a problem. Like Trump, he is ignoring the facts that reflect the reality our neighbors are facing every day.
Just a few things Governor Walker is running away from:
- Rejecting the Medicaid expansion for the people of Wisconsin, costing our taxpayers over $700 million
- Selling out our state’s future to a foreign company, costing taxpayers a staggering $4.5 billion
- Pushing for the dismantling of our conservation heritage
- Devastating the ability of our neighborhood schools to educate our children by cutting nearly $1 billion for their futures. Cutting more money from public schools than ever before
On behalf of my neighbors, I will continue to fight for a fair economy that expands opportunities for families and strengthens our community.
I am committed to:
- Strengthening our neighborhood schools by restoring the over $1 billion in state aid that was cut by Republicans
- Making child care more affordable and expanding access to paid leave
- Updating our infrastructure to meet the needs of our current generation
- Adequately funding lead abatement to stop the poisoning of our children
- Protecting our environment
- Legalizing the recreational and medicinal use of marijuana
- Protecting and promoting Wisconsin born and grown businesses
Despite the smooth talk offered by the governor, Wisconsinites are still stuck cleaning up Walker’s mess of the last seven years. His apparent rush from his record of partisan extremes is a little too late to mediate the damage he has done. Our neighbors are calling out for sensible leadership that will serve the people, not just the wealthy and well-connected.