Unpaid Legislative Internship
in the Wisconsin State Senate
Internship Application Below
Thank you for your interest in an internship in Senator Jeff Smith's office.
Job Title: Legislative Intern for Senator Jeff Smith
Location: State Capitol, Room 19 South, Madison, WI
Unpaid, may be used for credit
Job Description: A Legislative Intern in Senator Smith’s office will have many exciting projects relating to diverse policy issues and regional concerns. Responsibilities in this role will include various tasks such as constituent casework, constituent communication data entry, press monitoring, committee tracking, and legislative research.
- Answering phone calls in the office
- Writing letters in response to constituent concerns
- Engaging in constituent casework by contacting state agencies and/or conducting research
- Data entering office communications with constituents
- Researching and developing policy
- Staying informed on Wisconsin politics
- Desire to be engaged in the political process (prior political or office experience is not required)
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Work well in a team setting
- Organizational and time management skills
- Attending and enrolled at a two- or four-year college/university or a vocational/technical school program
Who can apply?
This position is intended to promote career opportunities and learning experiences for students of historically under-represented communities including Black and Brown students, students of marginalized genders, queer students, students with disabilities and veterans. You should apply for this Internship if you hope to acquire valuable work experience and have a desire to help diversify perspective and shape public policy.
- Please fill out the application below and send a cover letter and resume to Senator Smith’s office at Sen.Smith@legis.wisconsin.gov with “Legislative Internship” in the subject line.
- If you have any questions, please send an email to Sen.Smith@legis.wisconsin.gov or call 608-266-8546.