Election Integrity Bills
1. Assembly Bill 173 - Ban “Zuckerbucks”
- Prohibited private companies from donating money to local municipalities and running their elections.
2. Senate Bill 203 - Outlaw Ballot Harvesting
- Outlawed municipalities from collecting and returning absentee ballots in bulk, i.e. Madison’s “Democracy in the Park.”
3. Senate Bill 204 - Stop automatic mailing of ballots/End indefinitely confined loophole
- Prohibited clerks from sending out absentee ballots without seeing a person’s ID card.
- Created a standard absentee ballot request form.
- Right now any city can make up an absentee ballot request form however they like. This bill would have created a standardized form for everyone to use.
- The bill would have restricted indefinitely confined to those who are truly confined to their residence.
4. Senate Bill 205 - Protect people in long-term care facilities
- This bill would have prohibited employees of nursing homes from influencing a voter.
- Requiree next-of-kin or a Special Voting Deputy to be there in-person at the long-term care facilities.
5. Senate Bill 210 - Guarantee Election Observer Access
- Required election observers to be allowed access to all stages of the election process. Observers are required to be within 3 feet to ensure everyone is following the law.
6. Senate Bill 212 - Prohibit “Curing” of ballots
- Prohibited municipal clerks from fix errors on absentee ballots without confirmation from the voter.
Signed into Law:
- Ensure transparency with the Wisconsin Elections Commission
- This bill requires WEC to post their meeting minutes online no later than 48 hours after a meeting. They must also provide specific details on decisions and how Commissioners voted.
Passed the Senate:
- Allow DA’s to investigate election problems
- This would have allowed DA’s in neighboring counties to investigate/prosecute election law violations.
Find More at: legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/republicans/election-bills