I was born and raised right here in Madison, Wisconsin, and am a proud graduate of East High School and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I was first elected to represent the 48th District in November 2012, and am currently serving my fifth term in the Wisconsin State Legislature. The 16th Senate District encompasses the parts of eastern Dane County, including: Sun Prairie; Cottage Grove; McFarland; Stoughton; Monona; Fitchburg; and parts of Madison's north, east, and southeast side.
For the 2021-2023 legislative session, I serve as a ranking member on the Legislative Joint Audit Committee and the Senate Committees on: Housing, Trade, and Commerce; Human Services, Children and Families; Financial Institutions and Revenue; and Natural Resources and Energy.
Prior to my election to the State Legislature, I served two terms on the Dane County Board of Supervisors in 2010 and 2012. A lifelong Madison resident, I live on the Northside with my four wonderful sons– all of whom are attending or previously attended the Madison Metropolitan School District.
Awards and Recognitions
- Arc-Dane County - Elected Official of the Year
- National Foundation of Women Legislators - Woman of Distinction
- Eleanor Roosevelt Awards - Local Elected Official Nominee
- Citizen Action of Wisconsin - Achievement Award
- Women in Government - State Director
- Women in Legislative Leadership - State Director
- Gompers Elementary School - PTO President
- MRFY (Make Room For Youth) - Founding Member
- Emerge Wisconsin - Board of Directors
- Boy Scouts of America Glacier’s Edge Council - Board of Directors