Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

The Federal FMLA and Wisconsin FMLA require employers to provide eligible employees with unpaid (paid leave time can be substituted if the employee so wishes), job-protected leave time for qualifying family and medical related reasons.

Both Federal and Wisconsin FMLA laws require that group health benefits be maintained during the protected leave period and that employees are returned to the same or an equivalent position at the end of their FMLA leave.

If an employee would like to request FMLA leave or has questions related to FMLA leave, please contact the LHRO.

Disability/Reasonable Accommodations

The Wisconsin Fair Employment Law (WFEL), Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Sections 505 and 508) require employers to take reasonable steps to provide accessible work environments and to accommodate qualified employees with disabilities when an accommodation is reasonable and necessary.

A qualified employee with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation to assist them with performing essential job functions, accessing facilities, etc. The legislature will attempt to accommodate a reasonable accommodation request that is not an undue hardship and is not unduly costly, extensive, substantial or disruptive and does not fundamentally alter the nature of the job or the nature or operation of the Legislature.

If an employee would like to request an accommodation or has questions related to accommodations, please contact the LHRO.

Reasonable Accommodation Form (PDF)


The Legislature is committed to providing its employees and interns with a work environment free of harassment, discrimination, violence, and bullying. The Legislature also prohibits retaliation against employees and interns for making complaints related to harassment/discrimination or assisting in the investigation of complaints.

If an employee or intern would like to discuss concerns and/or file an informal concern or formal complaint related to harassment/discrimination/retaliation/violence/bullying:

INFORMAL CONCERN: An informal concern may be brought either verbally or in writing to a supervisor with authority over the person against whom the concern is directed, to the employee’s supervisor, or the Legislative Human Resources Office (LHRO).

FORMAL COMPLAINT: A written formal complaint may be filed with the Legislative Human Resources Office (LHRO). If an employee brings a formal complaint to his/her supervisor, the supervisor should refer the employee to the LHRO.

For more information related to the legislature’s anti-harassment, discrimination, retaliation, violence, and bullying policy, please see the Senate Policy Manual and the Assembly Policy Manual.


Worker’s Compensation

If an employee suffers an injury/illness as a result of his/her employment, medical expenses and wage loss may be covered by provisions of the Worker’s Compensation Act. Any injury/illness suspected of being a result of employment should be reported to the LHRO within 24 hours of occurring, or as soon as possible.