Kurtz_WebsiteBanner.jpg

Contents

February is Heart Month!

(Photo Courtesy of American Heart Association)

Click on the graphic to read the Joint Resolution that the Assembly passed proclaiming February 2021 to be American Heart Month in Wisconsin

Governor Evers' 2021-23 Budget Address

On Tuesday evening this week, Governor Tony Evers' delivered his 2021-2023 Budget Address. Click on the graphic above to watch his speech.

You can read my statement regarding the budget address below:

Assembly Floor Session

This week, the Wisconsin State Assembly held a floor session. We voted to pass legislation that protects small businesses in Wisconsin and ensures that they won't face a $431 million state tax for accepting a forgivable Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan. Small businesses are still facing many challenges due to the pandemic and adding an unexpected tax is not what they need right now. These businesses need our support now more than ever and I am glad that this piece of legislation not only passed both houses but was also signed into law by the Governor yesterday.

K12 Funding

Last week, the Joint Finance Committee met to take up the Department of Public Instruction’s request to distribute $686.1 million in federal funds to K-12 schools. 90% of this funding flows through a Title 1 formula and CANNOT be adjusted. The Joint Finance Committee’s plan will distribute $65 million of the remaining 10% of these federal dollars to schools throughout the state based on the number of hours of in-person instruction provided by the school districts for the 2020-2021 school year. This funding comes from the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER II Fund) to provide relief from the impact that COVID-19 had on our schools.

This plan incentivizes schools to get students back into the classroom and also rewards schools who have spent the time and resources to already have kids back at school. Many schools in our district have put forth remarkable efforts to keep our kids safe at school and they deserve our support. School districts in our area can expect to see at least $13.9 million of additional funding going to K-12 education.

Senate Bill 28

Last Thursday, I testified with Senator Marklein in front of the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety in support of Senate Bill 28. This is an important bill to ensure that the employees of Sand Ridge are protected and to provide some legal clarification to the patients who are treated there.

Juneau-Wood Counties Study

Northern Juneau County and Southern Wood County can expect to see a floodplain management plan study in the future. The area that will be studied includes the Yellow River, Little Yellow River, Wisconsin Rivers and the two tributaries of Cranberry and Hemlock Creek. This would consist of a comprehensive flood plain study to address the annual flooding and high-water issues that affect these areas of our district.