PLATTEVILLE, Wis. — A field adjacent to the Platteville Municipal Airport’s runway was bombed with barn lime Wednesday evening.

It was the aftermath of the competition called Splatteville.

Alaine Olthafer-Lange, who manages the airport with her husband Andy Lange, came down for a pass over the target. The package fell.

She radioed to flight instructor Dakota Carden. Where had it landed?

“Right between the runway lights,” he said.

“I’m glad I didn’t hit one,” Olthafer-Lange said.

Airport staff and commission members organized the event to recognize the completion of a $1.7 million construction project. The effort included the installation of new LED runway lights and resurfacing of a 3,600-foot runway. The project began in 2015.

“Airports such as this in small communities are great economic drivers,” said Platteville Airport Commission Chairman Bill Kloster.

Federal funds financed 90 percent of the project, while the remaining 10 percent was split between the state and City of Platteville.

Among the about 25 people who attended Splatteville was State Rep. Travis Tranel, R-Cuba City, who said the airport will play an important role in spurring economic development.

“I firmly believe that as the world continues to get smaller … airports like these are going to become more and more vital to our local communities,” he said.

More than 30 businesses are airport tenants. The facility also sees use by aviation students, hobbyists and crop dusters.

About 750 takeoffs and landings occur each month, necessitating runway maintenance.

“It’s our most important infrastructural demand and need out here,” Olthafer-Lange said.

During Wednesday’s competition, six designated bombers dropped packages of barn lime from an altitude of 100 feet, attempting to strike an area within a 60-foot target.

A Wisconsin state senator’s landed just 81/2 feet from the center.

“The first time was kind of blind, just a guess as to where it might go because you can’t see the target,” said Howard Marklein, R-Spring Green. “It’s just gorgeous up there.”

Local businesses sponsored each bomber with a financial contribution.

Splatteville netted about $1,000, which will fund gifts given to children during the airport’s annual Santa Fly-In.