Child Sales Tax Rebate
Go to childtaxrebate.wi.gov on or after May 15 to apply.
Sound fiscal management and a strong economy have resulted in a state budget surplus of almost $400 million for the State of Wisconsin. Governor Walker and the State Legislature have determined that some of the surplus should be returned to taxpayers in the form of a Child Sales Tax Rebate. It is a $100 rebate for sales and use tax paid on purchases made for raising a dependent child in 2017.
Filing start date: May 15, 2018
Filing deadline: July 2, 2018
- Must have a qualified child
- A child may only be claimed by one individual
Qualified Child Eligibility
Child must be:
- Under age 18 on December 31, 2017
- A dependent* of the claimant for tax year 2017
- A Wisconsin resident on December 31, 2017
- A United States citizen
What You Need to File Your Claim
- Your Social Security number and Wisconsin residency for tax year 2017
- Your qualified child's Social Security number and date of birth
- Bank routing number and account number for direct deposit
- If you are a nonresident or part-year resident that moved out of Wisconsin in 2017, you must submit receipts showing at least $100 of Wisconsin sales/use tax paid in 2017 for each child and proof each child was a Wisconsin resident on December 31, 2017
*Dependent is determined using guidance described in IRS Publication 501, regardless of whether the claimant files a 2017 federal income tax return.