With snow season right around the corner, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) would like to remind drivers to use extreme caution when driving in winter conditions. During the cold weather months, drivers should follow precautions that will protect them and others on the road. Also, driving during severe winter storms is discouraged and motorists are advised to wait until conditions improve.
Further tips to minimize the dangers of winter driving include:
· Follow state law and remember to wear your seat belt
· Avoid using cruise control in winter conditions
· Exercise caution on bridge decks as they are often slippery and ice can build up quickly
· Brake early to anticipate slippery conditions
· As required by law, remember to remain at least 200 feet from snowplows
For more information regarding winter driving conditions or DOT’s plans, projects, or public meetings, visit dot.wi.gov.