Each year we dedicate June 14th to honor the adoption of the flag of the United States of America as one of our greatest national symbols. As we honor and recognize all that our flag represents, we also need to remember the importance of properly disposing of a flag that is worn beyond repair. The following are instructions on the proper etiquette to dispose of a flag. In addition, local VFW’s are also a great alternative for disposing of a flag. To find your local VFW chapter please visit https://www.vfw.org/oms/findpost.aspx.
1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances