Senator Tim Carpenter (D-Milwaukee)
Senate District 3
Senator Tim Carpenter has lived in Milwaukee, a city his family has called home for over 63 years, his entire life and is a long-time homeowner in Milwaukee’s 3rd Senate District. His mother was a telephone operator and his father worked at the Falk Corp. Senator Carpenter was born at St. Francis Hospital and baptized and confirmed at St. Alexander's Church. He attended Morgandale Elementary School, Sholes Middle School and Pulaski High School.
Senator Carpenter received a bachelor's degree from UW-Milwaukee and a master's degree from UW-Madison's LaFollette Institute.
Prior to serving in the Legislature, Senator Carpenter worked at Rustlers Steak House, then for Federal Express. In 1984, at 24 years old, he ran for the State Assembly and won a six-way Primary. In the Assembly, he served as the Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore, and as chair of the Assembly Health Committee. In 2002, he was honored to be elected to the State Senate and served as Senate President Pro Tempore for the 2007-2008 Legislative Session. Senator Carpenter was re-elected to his third term in the Senate in 2010 with 61% of the vote.
Senator Carpenter is currently a member of the following Senate Standing Committees: Health and Human Services; State and Federal Regulations; Transportation, Public Safety, and Veterans and Military Affairs. He is also a member of the Joint Committee on Information Policy and Technology as well as the Transportation Projects Commission.
Senator Carpenter’s hard work in the Legislature has been well-recognized by local communities, neighbors and various advocacy groups who have awarded him the following:
• “Russ Feingold Award for Service” by the Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups, “in recognition of a strong commitment to meeting the needs of seniors in Wisconsin” in 2007
• Named “Champion of Public Health” by the Wisconsin Public Health Association for 2007-08
• Named “Conservation Champion” by the Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters for 2007-08
• 98% lifetime "votes right" record with Labor
• Named “Legislator of the Year” by Milwaukee's Shepard Express in 2003 and 2008
• Named “Legislator of the Year” by the Wisconsin Professional Fire Fighters in 2002
• Several "Clean 16" environmental awards
• Recognition for pro-environment voting record from the Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters, Sierra Club and Clean Wisconsin Action Fund
- Senate Committee on Transportation and Veterans Affairs
- Joint Committee on Information Policy and Technology
- Joint Survey Committee on Tax Exemptions
- Senate Committee on Government Operations, Technology and Consumer Protection
Contact Senator Tim Carpenter