With the 4th of July approaching us, please remember to be safe!
The 4th of July is a great holiday to celebrate, enjoy time with family and friends, and watch a beautiful display of fireworks. Unfortunate accidents may occur, so take precautions and follow safety tips.
- Observe from a safe distance
- Fireworks should be handled by adults
- Don’t allow children to play with or ignite fireworks
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions
- Have a responsible adult supervise all firework activities
- Double check no one is near when lighting a firework
- Never point or throw a firework at another person
- Light one item at a time and move back quickly
- Keep a bucket of water nearby at all times in case of malfunction or fire
- Always remember – if fireworks fizzle and don’t ignite, douse them with water and do not relight them!
Fireworks that can only be purchased and used with a permit issued by your local government
- Roman Candles
- Bottle Rockets
- Anything that explodes or leaves the ground
Fireworks that don’t require a permit
- Sparklers (not exceeding 36” in length)
- Toy Snakes
Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) has more information available on these sources below: