Kathleen Marie Anderson (Bernier) was born in Eau Claire WI April 29, 1956 to John and Marge (Ginder) Anderson, both of Eau Claire.
Kathy grew up in the Town of Hallie, now the Village of Lake Hallie. She graduated from Chippewa Falls Senior High School in 1974 and married in September of 1977. She has 3 children and 6 grandchildren.
While raising her children, Kathy worked a variety of part-time and limited term jobs including certified nursing assistant, waitress, and census taker. When her children were older, she began looking into a full time career and ultimately decided to pursue a degree.
In the spring of 1993 Kathy applied to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. She was accepted as a non-traditional student at age 37 and continued working part-time jobs while in college. Although she entered UW-EC Claire as a Business Major, she later changed her major to Political Science. Kathy graduated in May of 1998 with her children and parents by her side.
Shortly after graduating, Kathy was elected Chippewa County Clerk and served in that position until February 2011. She has also served as a trustee for the Village of Lake Hallie, as the liaison to the Clerk/Treasurer’s office, and has provided leadership and guidance to the police commission and the parks and recreation board.
Kathy was elected as the State Representative for the 68th Assembly District in November 2010 and took office in January of 2011. She serves as the Chair of the Campaigns and Elections Committee and is a member of the Assembly Committees on Aging and Long-Term Care, Agriculture, Mining and Rural Development, and Workforce Development, and the Speaker's Task Force on Alzheimer's and Dementia.
While serving the constituents of the 68th Assembly District is her first priority, Kathy is involved in national organizations as well. The National Foundation for Women Legislators selected her as state chair for 2015, and she currently sits on the NFWL Board of Directors. She has been an invited speaker for the National Council of State Legislators and is a delegate to the Assembly of State Legislatures.
Awards and Honors
- Grand Champion Supporter of the Wisconsin Association of Fairs
- Outstanding Legislator Award - Wisconsin Counties Association
- Freedom's Edge - Knife Rights
- Woman of Excellence - National Foundation for Women Legislators
- Legislative Excellence Award - Dairy Business Association
- Working for Wisconsin - Wisconsin Manufacturing and Commerce
- Dental Academy - Wisconsin Dental Association
- Defender of Liberty - American Conservative Union
- Champion of Commerce - Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce
- Centennial Certificate - Eastern European Cultural Society
- Take Your Legislator to Work - Board for People with Developmental Disabilities
- Certificate of Appreciation - Wisconsin Locksmiths
- Certificate of Recognition - Wisconsin Veterans Department of Veterans Affairs
- Quill Pen of Excellence - Wisconsin County Clerks Association
- Lake Hallie Optimists Club
- Wisconsin Civil Air Patrol, Major
- Girl Scouts of America, Capitol Troop
- Wisconsin County Clerks Association, Lifetime Member
- American Legislative Exchange Council
- National Council of State Legislators
- National Foundation for Women Legislators
- Committee on Aging and Long-Term Care
- Committee on Agriculture
- Committee on Campaigns and Elections (Chair)
- Committee on Family Law (Vice-Chair)
- Committee on Mining and Rural Development
- Committee on Workforce Development
- Speaker's Task Force on Alzheimer's and Dementia