Representative Joel Kleefisch is a life-long resident of southeast Wisconsin. He graduated from Waukesha North High School and earned his Bachelor’s degree at Pepperdine University. Joel’s first career was in television news as an investigative reporter. He spent nearly ten years covering thousands of stories in the area. During his time in television, he was nominated for two Emmy awards for his reporting coverage.
Joel’s priorities are your priorities: lowering taxes, finding ways to reduce government waste, promoting Wisconsin's sporting heritage, protecting the rights of sportsmen and women statewide, protecting family values, and preserving the sanctity of life.
Joel was first elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2004. He currently serves the Chair for the Assembly Committee on Natural Resources and Sporting Heritage.
Joel enjoys spending time with his wife Rebecca and their two beautiful daughters, Violet and Ella. He also appreciates being outdoors, hunting, fishing, politics, and sports. Joel is an active member of his community, serving as a member of the Watertown Elks Club, the Watertown Moose Club, Ducks Unlimited, the National Rifle Association and the Bowhunters Association. He is also the founder of the Lakewatch Volunteer Organization.
Joel has received the following recognitions:
- Legislative Champion of the Year Award 2018 from the Wisconsin Association of Free & Charitable Clinics
- Government Leadership Award from Rehabilitation for Wisconsin
- Building Wisconsin Award from the Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin
- Champions of Commerce Award from the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce
- Conservative Achievement Award from the American Conservative Union
- Champion for Children Award
- Wisconsin Bow Hunter’s Association’s Legislator of the Year Award
- President’s Award from the Wisconsin Bass Federation
- Pro-Jobs Legislation Award from Wisconsin Manufacturer’s and Commerce
- Defender of Liberty Award from the American Conservative Union
- American Legion Legislator of the Year Award